Asking too much of old kit?
Ouch
2011-05-22 17:55:49 UTC
Hiya,

I've got an old Dell workstation that I'm currently using to run
squeezebox server along with Serviio (DNLA server) and a few other
tasks (occasional torrents & windows file-server)

The workstation is a P3 866Mhz with about 256Mb ram and a SATA card
handling the 0.5TB main storage. It's currently running windows 2000.

I've not long set up the squeezebox server and this morning I had to
restart the fileserver as it had pretty much ground to a halt,
services.exe was hogging all the cpu time.

The way I see it I've got 3 options:

1. More RAM - bigger sticks to bring it up to 512Mb which I think is
the max for that platform.

2. Change OS - perhaps with the RAM upgrade Ubuntu or some other
friendly linux distro might make a better job of dishing out the data.

3. whole new build - either based on my current desktop (Opteron185)
which is starting to age a bit, the wifes (P4) which is a similar
vintage, or something brand new..

Any thoughts anyone?
--
Ouch
Ouch's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=46874
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=87869
pski
2011-05-22 18:27:27 UTC
Post by Ouch
[...]
That machine would be fine with an install of Vortexbox. Adding more
RAM would help. Note: Vortexbox would make the machine a dedicated
media server (DLNA/SBS/etc.) You might want to pop-in another smaller
disk and install Vortexbox on that. Then add your music disk and
rescan. That way you could give it a try and revert if you wanted.

I regularly run Vortexbox virtual machines with 256MB of memory and
they outperform my "regular" SBS machine which is a dual core pentium
(2.8Ghz) with 3 gigs of memory..

pski

real stereo doesn't just wake the neighbors, it -enrages- them.. It is
truly the Golden Age of Wireless
pski's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=15574
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=87869
Ouch
2011-05-23 21:26:35 UTC
Interesting stuff.. not heard of vortexbox before. will do some
reading.

It's got a pair of 18G IDE drives (one of which is empty) as main
system drives, so I could easily dual-boot it.

So vortexbox would talk to/control my SBB?
pski
2011-05-24 00:46:38 UTC
Interesting stuff.. not heard of vortexbox before. will do some reading.
It's got a pair of 18G IDE drives (one of which is empty) as main
system drives, so I could easily dual-boot it.
So vortexbox would talk to/control my SBB?
Vortexbox sells music servers and distributes the exact software for
free.

It is designed to control your SB players since it runs SBS. (and damn
well, I would say.) The software is actually the current Red Hat Fedora
+ SBS and other features (see the vortexbox website.)

So to recap: the vortexbox software is free and they sell "hardware"
that has specific advantages (if you don't read well.)

Paul

maggior
2011-05-24 02:43:52 UTC
I'm surprised to hear that folks have this running in 256MB with no
problems. That I think will be your limiting factor. 512MB would be
sufficient I think.

With a system like this, forget about transcoding or bitrate limiting
FLACs to mp3 - that will likely start causing problems.
--
maggior

Rich
---------
Setup: 2 SB3s, 4 Booms, 1 Duet, 1 Receiver, 1 Touch, iPeng on iPod
Touch. SuSE 11.0 Server running SqueezeBoxServer 7.5.0, MusicIP, and
SqueezeSlave.
Current library stats: 34,767 songs, 2,776 albums, 505 artists.
http://www.last.fm/user/maggior
maggior's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=9080
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=87869
wsw70
2011-05-26 20:17:02 UTC
Post by Ouch
Hiya,
I've got an old Dell workstation that I'm currently using to run
squeezebox server along with Serviio (DNLA server) and a few other
tasks (occasional torrents & windows file-server)
The workstation is a P3 866Mhz with about 256Mb ram and a SATA card
handling the 0.5TB main storage. It's currently running windows 2000.
(...)
Any thoughts anyone?
I have a similar machine with more RAM and I installed Debian (the
network version which installs the bare minimum of services).

It runs pretty much the same services as yours (you could have a look
at minidlna which I finally chose over other DLNA servers - mostly due
to the fact that it just works and that is it lightweight).
--
wsw70
wsw70's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=45991
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=87869
gharris999
2011-05-26 21:04:00 UTC
Ditto that on minidlna. I was a mediatomb user but I've switched to
minidlna. It's lacking mediatomb's web interface for configuration, but
it just seems to work better.
--
gharris999
gharris999's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=115