[SlimDevices: SqueezeCenter] Artwork not displayed
schup011
2017-01-30 12:30:35 UTC

I am new in this forum and a new (quite happy) user of PiCorePlayer on a
Raspberry Pi 3 Model B and iQAudio DAC+ + Android App Squeeze Ctrl.

I have two issues with the LMS:

1)
Some of the album artwork was not displayed after the first scan. My
music folders all have a jpg-Image named with the album name and
composer (classical music). The ones that were not displayed were
smaller than 500 x 500 (e.g. 300 x 300) in resolution. After I found
appropriate 500 x 500 ones, I replaced and scanned the library again
(with complete delete before). Still, the same ones are not displayed.
Even a complete reinstall of LMS did not solve the problem.

Music is on a network share (hdd disk on FritzBox NAS).
Settings for artwork in LMS were:
Cache / do not cache (did not make a difference).
Resize locally in LMS (not mysqueezebox.com).

2)
For the album artwork that is displayed generally, this works at some
albums only after the player has gone through the first track and then
switches to the second. I will also provide a video for that

Do you have an idea what this is about? Thanks for your support!

schup011's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=66557
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=106888
d6jg
2017-01-30 12:41:31 UTC
schup011 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new in this forum and a new (quite happy) user of PiCorePlayer on a
> Raspberry Pi 3 Model B and iQAudio DAC+ + Android App Squeeze Ctrl.
>
> I have two issues with the LMS:
>
> 1)
> Some of the album artwork was not displayed after the first scan. My
> music folders all have a jpg-Image named with the album name and
> composer (classical music). The ones that were not displayed were
> smaller than 500 x 500 (e.g. 300 x 300) in resolution. After I found
> appropriate 500 x 500 ones, I replaced and scanned the library again
> (with complete delete before). Still, the same ones are not displayed.
> Even a complete reinstall of LMS did not solve the problem.
>
> Music is on a network share (hdd disk on FritzBox NAS).
> Settings for artwork in LMS were:
> Cache / do not cache (did not make a difference).
> Resize locally in LMS (not mysqueezebox.com).
>
> 2)
> For the album artwork that is displayed generally, this works at some
> albums only after the player has gone through the first track and then
> switches to the second. I will also provide a video for that
>
> Do you have an idea what this is about? Thanks for your support!

IIRC LMS searches for cover art named either folder.jpg or cover.jpg in
the folders where the album resides if it doesn't find such it then
looks in the music file itself - do you have embedded art work in your
files? A complete clear and rescan should cause LMS to find new artwork.

*Vortexbox LMS 7.9 music on QNAP TS419p via NFS* iThingys/iPeng/Tablets
*Living Room* - SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 - > Celestion Ditton F20s - Zone 2 ->
Sony TA FE 320 -> Sennheiser RS 130 & B&W P7
*Office* - RPi -> Sony TA FE320 -> Celestion F10s / SB3 -> Onkyo CRN 755
-> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
*Dining Room* -> SB Boom *Kitchen* -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
*Bedroom (Bedside)* - SB Touch -> Topping TP21 -> AKG Headphones
*Bedroom (TV)* - Amazon Fire TV (SB Player) -> Topping TP20 ->
Wharfedale Modus Cubes
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=106888
schup011
2017-01-30 13:47:00 UTC
d6jg wrote:
> IIRC LMS searches for cover art named either folder.jpg or cover.jpg in
> the folders where the album resides if it doesn't find such it then
> looks in the music file itself - do you have embedded art work in your
> files? A complete clear and rescan should cause LMS to find new artwork.

Every folder contains a jpg file with artwork, named as the album. This
works for most of the folders. Only some of them have the same jpg
embedded as in the folder. Also those work. Only some few ones
(seemingly those with lower resolution, but maybe also because of
another reason) do not work.

Paul Webster
2017-01-30 17:17:17 UTC
Have you confirmed that the ones that work (pick one at random) do not
have art embedded in the audio file itself?

Also - pick one of the albums that currently fails to show artwork and
make a copy of your .jpg file but name it "folder.jpg" (that exact name
without quotes) - and then force a rescan.

Paul Webster
http://dabdig.blogspot.com
Paul Webster's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=105
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=106888
schup011
2017-01-30 18:18:11 UTC
Paul Webster wrote:
> Have you confirmed that the ones that work (pick one at random) do not
> have art embedded in the audio file itself?
>
> Also - pick one of the albums that currently fails to show artwork and
> make a copy of your .jpg file but name it "folder.jpg" (that exact name
> without quotes) - and then force a rescan.

@ First question: Yes, confirmed it 100%. Not only one example, but many
of them. Checked with mp3tag. No cover in it. Cover as "album title".jpg
in the folder.
@ Second suggestion: I am about to do it. Embedded artwork into the
files with mp3tag AND renamed all covers of the previously non working
folders to "folder.jpg". I will come back with the result.

kidstypike
2017-01-30 18:38:10 UTC
schup011 wrote:

> @ Second suggestion: I am about to do it. Embedded artwork into the
> files with mp3tag AND renamed all covers of the previously non working
> folders to "folder.jpg". I will come back with the result.

You only need to do one of these: *either* embed the artwork in the
music file.
*Or*, rename the album art .jpg to "folder".

LMS 7.9 on a Raspberry Pi 3/piCorePlayer 3.10, playlists and LMS cache
on a USB stick, 25K+ music library on a WD MyCloud network drive,
Rasberry Pi 2 > piCorePlayer 3.02 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 >
AVI DM5
Raspberry Pi 3/piCorePlayer 3.10/HiFiBerry DAC+ > Cambridge Audio Minx 5
(study)
1 x Boom (dining room) - 1 x Radio (garage) - 1 x Touch (display and
controller only) - 1 x SB3 (spare)
kidstypike's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=10436
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=106888
schup011
2017-01-30 20:41:47 UTC
kidstypike wrote:
> You only need to do one of these: *either* embed the artwork in the
> music file.
> *Or*, rename the album art .jpg to "folder".

I know, but to be sure, I did both.

As a result, nothing changed. So, to summarize:

1) I have folders with embedded artwork which is displayed, and folders
with embedded artwork which is not displayed.
2) I have artwork jpgs in the folder which are displayed, and some which
are not displayed.
3) There is no difference what the name of the jpg is.
4) The only difference I could see that the non-working artwork was
smaller than 500x500 initially (when I set up LMS), but strangely I
replaced most of those by 500x500 ones, and situation did not change, as
if there was some cache not deleted somewhere.

Some ideas?

kidstypike
2017-01-30 20:49:40 UTC
schup011 wrote:
> I know, but to be sure, I did both.
>
> As a result, nothing changed. So, to summarize:
>
> 1) I have folders with embedded artwork which is displayed, and folders
> with embedded artwork which is not displayed.
> 2) I have artwork jpgs in the folder which are displayed, and some which
> are not displayed.
> 3) There is no difference what the name of the jpg is.
> 4) The only difference I could see that the non-working artwork was
> smaller than 500x500 initially (when I set up LMS), but strangely I
> replaced most of those by 500x500 ones, and situation did not change, as
> if there was some cache not deleted somewhere.
>
> Some ideas?

Where are your music files stored?

You are doing a "clear library and rescan everything"?
Not just "look for new and changed"?

schup011
2017-01-30 20:57:22 UTC
kidstypike wrote:
> Where are your music files stored?
>
> You are doing a "clear library and rescan everything"?
> Not just "look for new and changed"?

Yes, I always do "clear library and rescan everything".

Recently, I even deleted *.db in the Cache folder of slimserver via ssh
and restarted the LMS.

My music is stored on a hdd connected to a Fritzbox NAS, and connected
via Wifi network share to LMS. 99% FLAC files.

schup011
2017-01-30 21:02:55 UTC
It seems to me that there is some "history" from the first scan of my
music library.

Is there any cache in squeezelite that "remembers" artwork etc.?

Should I reinstall the whole piCorePlayer with a new SD image (quite a
way to go :confused: )?

kidstypike
2017-01-30 21:04:22 UTC
schup011 wrote:
> Yes, I always do "clear library and rescan everything".
>
> Recently, I even deleted *.db in the Cache folder of slimserver via ssh
> and restarted the LMS.
>
> My music is stored on a hdd connected to a Fritzbox NAS, and connected
> via Wifi network share to LMS. 99% FLAC files.

Is the artwork missing on both the webgui and Squeeze Ctrl?

Folder/file permissions?

Out of ideas :(

schup011
2017-01-30 21:32:18 UTC
kidstypike wrote:
> Is the artwork missing on both the webgui and Squeeze Ctrl?
>
> Folder/file permissions?
>
> Out of ideas :(

Yes, same situation in webgui and Squeeze Ctrl.

Folder/file permissions: Very interesting idea! Well, from my laptop I
can change and delete any data on the music library without problems.
Tested on ssh from the piCore linux: reacts super slow, ls sometimes
takes 20+ seconds, sometimes gives back the error "stale file handle",
but removing files was possible. So no problem with permissions, but
maybe with the network share or NAS. Could it be possible that there are
timeouts in the LMS for accessing files?

kidstypike
2017-01-30 21:36:19 UTC
schup011 wrote:
> Yes, same situation in webgui and Squeeze Ctrl.
>
> Folder/file permissions: Very interesting idea! Well, from my laptop I
> can change and delete any data on the music library without problems.
> Tested on ssh from the piCore linux: reacts super slow, ls sometimes
> takes 20+ seconds, sometimes gives back the error "stale file handle",
> but removing files was possible. So no problem with permissions, but
> maybe with the network share or NAS. Could it be possible that there are
> timeouts in the LMS for accessing files?

Anything in the server logs > LMS > Settings > Advanced > path to logs
is at bottom of this page.

schup011
2017-01-30 21:53:23 UTC
kidstypike wrote:
> Anything in the server logs > LMS > Settings > Advanced > path to logs
> is at bottom of this page.

Tried to post some log entries, but did not succeed (hm... maybe not
allowed in the forum).

I get a couple of "(403) Artwork resize for music...." errors.

schup011
2017-01-30 23:54:38 UTC
New results:

Connecting hdd directly to the Raspberry Pi did not change.

But I got some more details. There is a difference between album browse
view and now playing view.

Album browse view as I explained (seemed to be connected with the
resolution).

Now playing view: only those folders which had flacs with embedded art
work properly, the others do not show the cover in the now playing
view.

Would be no problem if I could just embedd all albums and then rescan.
But I did that for some example folders and the result remains the same,
even with a complete Cache delete (manually).

Where is this memory and how can I delete it? Could it be some kind of
cache of the (squeezelite) player?
Any ideas (I don't want to reinstall the whole piCorePlayer)?

Michael Herger
2017-01-31 15:28:26 UTC
Please enable debug logging for artwork (Settings/Advanced/Logging) and
try again. Then upload the server.log

Michael
schup011
2017-01-31 20:38:57 UTC
mherger wrote:
> Please enable debug logging for artwork (Settings/Advanced/Logging) and
>
> try again. Then upload the server.log
>

> --
>
> Michael

So here you are:

The last three things I did (starting ca. 21:15) in Squeeze Ctrl
(always via Home/My Music/Composers/"Johannes Brahms"/ Chose album /
Chose track)

1. Opened an album where the artwork is displayed in album browse and in
now playing view. ("Abschiedskonzert...", not visible in the log)
2. Opened an album where the artwork is displayed in album browse, but
not in now playing view ("Sonaten...")
3. Opened an album where the artwork is neither displayed in album
browse nor in now playing view ("Klavierkonzert")

22011

I am looking forward to your analysis.

|Filename: server(1).zip |
|Download: http://forums.slimdevices.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=22011|

Michael Herger
2017-01-31 21:00:26 UTC
> I am looking forward to your analysis.

There's artwork in the files stored as GIF files. Lots of the following
messages:

Image::Scale was not built with GIF support

Your LMS can't handle GIF files. If you think that's wrong, then make
sure you don't have embedded artwork in those files. They're all listed
in the log file:

[17-01-31 21:13:04.5794] Slim::Utils::ImageResizer::sync_resize (141)
Error resizing /mnt/fritznas/Intenso-ExternalUSB3-0-01/Musik/B015
Johannes Brahms - Klavierkonzert Nr. 1 - Krystian Zimerman, Wiener
Philharmoniker, Leonard Bernstein/01 Johannes Brahms - Klavierkonzert
Nr. 1 d-moll, op. 15 - 1. Maestoso.flac: Image::Scale was not built with
GIF support

Michael
schup011
2017-01-31 21:26:42 UTC
mherger wrote:
> > I am looking forward to your analysis.
>
> There's artwork in the files stored as GIF files. Lots of the following
>
> messages:
>
> Image::Scale was not built with GIF support
>
> Your LMS can't handle GIF files. If you think that's wrong, then make
> sure you don't have embedded artwork in those files. They're all listed
>
> in the log file:
>
> [17-01-31 21:13:04.5794] Slim::Utils::ImageResizer::sync_resize (141)
> Error resizing /mnt/fritznas/Intenso-ExternalUSB3-0-01/Musik/B015
> Johannes Brahms - Klavierkonzert Nr. 1 - Krystian Zimerman, Wiener
> Philharmoniker, Leonard Bernstein/01 Johannes Brahms - Klavierkonzert
> Nr. 1 d-moll, op. 15 - 1. Maestoso.flac: Image::Scale was not built with
>
> GIF support
>
> --
>
> Michael

Hi,

I looked at exactly that file. This is what mp3tag says:

image/jpeg
500x500
64 KB
Front Cover

Can't see something wrong in it.
Looked into the jpg itself, and it has the typical JFIF in its header.

Michael Herger
2017-01-31 21:33:32 UTC
> I looked at exactly that file. This is what mp3tag says:

Could you please drop me a copy of that file?

https://www.dropbox.com/request/T3RctyzGgNg0oFDubq6a

And you're sure there's no rogue GIF file in that folder or the like?

Michael
schup011
2017-01-31 22:28:48 UTC
mherger wrote:
> > I looked at exactly that file. This is what mp3tag says:
>
> Could you please drop me a copy of that file?
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/request/T3RctyzGgNg0oFDubq6a
>
> And you're sure there's no rogue GIF file in that folder or the like?
>
> --
>
> Michael

Done. Took terribly long, sorry for those 80MB.

Michael Herger
2017-02-01 06:08:14 UTC
>>> I looked at exactly that file. This is what mp3tag says:

I scanned your file in LMS, and here's the tags I'm getting:

ALLPICTURES: [ HASH(0x7fb642d0a6b0) ]
APIC: [ image/gif, 3, CD Front Cover, 102844, 345 ]

I don't know what is in ALLPICTURES, but APIC is a gif. And it's not
standard for FLAC. Please try to get rid of APIC. Maybe LMS skips the
ALLPICTURES tag, as it's failing to read the unnecessary APIC tag.

BTW: what LMS version are you running on what platform and perl?

Michael
Mnyb
2017-02-01 06:25:38 UTC
You may have multiple tag formats in the file both id3v and flac (vorbis
comment) use flac for flac files . and its also possible to have more
than one picture .

Check mp3tags extended tag menu in the rigth click menu

sub.
Bedroom/Office: Boom
Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
Misc use: Radio (with battery)
iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
(spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )

View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=106888
schup011
2017-02-01 07:53:10 UTC
mherger wrote:

> I scanned your file in LMS, and here's the tags I'm getting:
>
> ALLPICTURES: [ HASH(0x7fb642d0a6b0) ]
> APIC: [ image/gif, 3, CD Front Cover, 102844, 345 ]
>
> I don't know what is in ALLPICTURES, but APIC is a gif. And it's not
> standard for FLAC. Please try to get rid of APIC. Maybe LMS skips the
> ALLPICTURES tag, as it's failing to read the unnecessary APIC tag.
>
> BTW: what LMS version are you running on what platform and perl?
>
> --
>
> Michael

Thanks! Very interesting. I had already used mp3tag to remove the old
picture (which might have been gif, I don't remember) and to add the new
jpg one.
And, as I wrote before, mp3tag showed me the new jpeg as front cover,
and nothing about another picture. I will check tonight again.
Is there any better solution editing tags?

LMS version: Installed the latest piCorePlayer 3.10 Audio image and LMS
a couple of days ago. I can't check now exact version numbers, but will
do that also tonight.

schup011
2017-02-01 19:18:39 UTC
Hm...

mp3tag finds only one jpeg cover in it:

22017

Very strange that LMS finds something different/more. Maybe, I should
try another tagging tool.

Here comes the version information:

Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.0 - 1485445004 @ Thu Jan 26 15:46:00
UTC 2017
Hostname: piCorePlayer
IP-Adresse des Servers: 192.168.178.41
Server-HTTP-Portnummer: 9000
Betriebssystem: piCore - DE - utf8
Plattformarchitektur: armv7l-linux
Perl-Version: 5.24.0 - arm-linux-gnueabihf-thread-multi-64int
Audio::Scan: 0.95
Datenbankversion: DBD::SQLite 1.34_01 (sqlite 3.7.7.1)
Anzahl erkannter Player: 1

|Filename: Unbenannt.jpg |
|Download: http://forums.slimdevices.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=22017|

schup011
2017-02-01 19:58:59 UTC
Very strange:

Tried another tag editor: TagScanner. And it also says: One cover, jpeg
image.

WHat is now wrong? Is the LMS scan wrong?

reinholdk
2017-02-01 20:12:12 UTC
mp3tag is usually a very reliable tool. What does it display in its main
view's Tag column? Only "FLAC (FLAC)"?

reinholdk's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=36070
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=106888
schup011
2017-02-01 20:15:20 UTC
reinholdk wrote:
> mp3tag is usually a very reliable tool. What does it display in its main
> view's Tag column? Only "FLAC (FLAC)"?

It displays FLAC (FLAC ID3v2).

kidstypike
2017-02-01 20:31:10 UTC
schup011 wrote:
> It displays FLAC (FLAC ID3v2).

Remove the ID3v2.3 tags.
Select all files > right click > Tag cut, then right click > Tag Paste.

schup011
2017-02-01 21:11:25 UTC
kidstypike wrote:
> Remove the ID3v2.3 tags.
> Select all files > right click > Tag cut, then right click > Tag Paste.

Thanks!
Now it works!

So I hand over to the experts to explain this! :D

kidstypike
2017-02-01 21:16:48 UTC
schup011 wrote:
> Thanks!
> Now it works!
>
> So I hand over to the experts to explain this! :D

Sorry, wife's gone out. :)

schup011
2017-02-02 12:47:38 UTC
I am trying to summarize:

- My music library is full of folders with FLAC files that have mixed
FLAC and ID3vx tags (my fault).
- Mixture of FLAC and ID3vx tags is not standard and therefore not
entirely supported by some players.
- LMS tries to read the picture embedded as tag and fails in scaling
because it is in the wrong tag format.
- If there is no (even not a wrong) artwork embedded, LMS takes the one
from the folder.
- Just removing the "wrong" artwork in mp3tag does not repair the mixed
tags issue --> use cut and paste tags.
- I will repair the tags of my library.

So everything fine for me. Thanks a lot for the help.

Maybe just one suggestion from my side for LMS (priority rather low):

In case LSM fails to read or scale an embedded artwork, it should take
the one from the folder. Then it would be a little bit more robust
against these "mixed tags".

formbypc
2018-01-16 10:43:37 UTC
mherger wrote:
> I scanned your file in LMS, and here's the tags I'm getting:
>
> Michael

How do you do this scan?

formbypc's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=52157
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=106888
slartibartfast
2018-01-16 10:51:20 UTC
formbypc wrote:
> How do you do this scan?Presumably just a normal scan.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

slartibartfast's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=35609
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=106888
kidstypike
2018-01-16 11:05:56 UTC
Or, just add the file to the folder that LMS scans, browse to it using
My Music > Music Folder, and play it. It will be added to the LMS
database.

24401

|Filename: Music Folder.jpg |
|Download: http://forums.slimdevices.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24401|

*Study/Server - LMS 7.9.1 - *Raspberry Pi3/Pi screen/HiFiBerry
DAC+/piCorePlayer 3.22/jivelite, 25K library on WDMyCloud, cache and
playlists on a USB stick (formatted ntfs).
*Lounge* - RPi 2/Max2Play > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI
DM5
*Dining Room* - Boom
*Garage* - Raspberry Pi3/Pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/piCorePlayer 3.22 >
Edifier R980T
*In car* - LMS 7.9.1 > RPi3/Max2Play/Access Point plugin > HiFiBerry
DAC+ > car's hifi (files on a 2TB portable USB drive)
*Spares* - 1xTouch, 1xSB3, 1xRadio
formbypc
2018-01-16 11:55:35 UTC
kidstypike wrote:
> Or, just add the file to the folder that LMS scans, browse to it using
> My Music > Music Folder, and play it. It will be added to the LMS
> database.

..and then how do I view the info such as the poster did above?

kidstypike
2018-01-16 11:58:49 UTC
formbypc wrote:
> ..and then how do I view the info such as the poster did above?
>
> (I scanned your file in LMS, and here's the tags I'm getting:
>
> ALLPICTURES: [ HASH(0x7fb642d0a6b0) ]
> APIC: [ image/gif, 3, CD Front Cover, 102844, 345 ])

Drill down to the track in the left pane and "View Tags".

24403

|Filename: pic16-01-2018-11.57.37.jpg |
|Download: http://forums.slimdevices.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24403|